Monday, December 28, 2009

Stuff...


So it is the Holiday Season and I find myself doing a lot of reading which is great; I love it. I got some sixty five dollars in gift certificates to a half-price bookstore and went in and bought about twenty-five books. I also made a trip to my local library and checked out a bunch of comics. It's cold and I have nothing to do to but read, ah heaven.

So I finished Russ Baker's "Family Secrets" and the second half certainly didn't disappoint. Baker covers W.'s administration, the Katrina failure, Bush's failure to complete his National Guard Service and the cover-up, and the problem of Iraq. Heavily noted and researched, if read soberly it will leave a lasting impression. Baker steers clear from the full monster of the attack of 9/11, though he does discuss some aspects of the incident.




I watched a brilliant documentary last night called "Audience of One", about Richard Gazowsky a Pentecostal Preacher in San Francisco, who claimed God came to him on a mountain and told him to make a big-budget, science fiction film, based on the story of Joseph, from the Hebrew text. It was scary, sad, and funny. The whole thing is a complete failure. It is in a similar vain to documentary "Jesus Camp", with speaking in tongues and misinterpretation running amok. All in attempt to make "Star-Wars" knock of for the Christian right. You gotta see it to believe it... 

These types of issues spark my curiosity. I want to know how people end up doing these things like speaking in tongues, and misleading a group of people. So much time, material wealth, and social health are lost in the process. Even worse, little is accomplished while so many suffer...

Growing up as a kid, I never read comics. I just recently started reading them. I love it. I have read a bunch of stuff. I am just trying to go through mainstream stuff like "The Justice League" and all the relevant spin-offs. It is interesting approaching these works tabula rosa, and seeing the whole evolution immediately. I also like the meta-fictional quality of comics, where there is a sort of self critique contained in the story and development. My library in my city actually has a decent comic section. I got "The Flash: Blood Will Run"  created by Geoff Johns, Scott Kolins, Doug Hazlewood, and Ethan Van Sciver.

I would love to write a graphic novel...

No comments:

Post a Comment